I started reading this book last night that started out by commenting that it is kind of sad that in our lives, we will probably remember only half of what we did, if we are lucky. Most people remember FAR less than half. Of course, when asked, most people will remember the losses, the gains, the wins, the events that were huge and made a large impact. Does that mean the the simple things, the day to day things, get lost in the shuffle of the bigger things? This got me thinking... what do I remember? How many small, day to day things do I really remember?
Thinking back on my childhood, and I am talking my Phoenix childhood, so before I turned 8, I can remember some snap shots of things. I remember that my next door neighbor was my best friend (she is still a friend of mine). I also had another good friend who lived a little further away and she has to great danes. They were my two favorite people. I remember them well, and still keep in contact with them. But, really, those are surface memories. What do I remember doing WITH them?
I made puzzle piece earrings. Yep, you read that right. I remember vividly, sitting down at Sarah's kitchen table, their blinds were open, and her mom Kim gave us white puzzle pieces. We decorated those things for what felt like hours, but really, was most likely more like 15 minutes. Her mom then helped us put the earring backs on them. I don't remember if I ever wore mine, but I remember that I liked Sarah's much better than mine. Sarah's mom was always the crafty one. I have many memories of doing something crafty over there. (Side note: When I moved away from Phoenix, Sarah's mom made me a bunny with a purple dress on. She got named Jenny. She has been around the country with me, on a submarine, and now sits lovingly on top of my dresser.)
Memories are funny things. I want to remember more than I do. I want Jared to remember more than he will. But, our memories are what shape us today and help make us who we will turn into tomorrow. Now, what will the puzzle piece memory do for me today........
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment