Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Finding something to laugh about

The last 9 days have been, well, awful.  While each individual thing that occurred would have been stressful on its own, everything all together strung one right after another, has been enough to bring me to my knees a few times. 

I find it odd that what most people find to "comfort" me in my stressful time is to bring light to the situation.  Point out all the ways that these things too shall pass.  There have been very few people who have taken a few minutes to just let me cry/vent about the events that have transpired.  I am not sure why people do this.  I am sure that it is just the way some people are, but let's be honest, when I am in the middle of a crisis, I don't want to be reminded a 100 times how it could be worse, how I will laugh about it later, or things that I could be doing to possibly bring less stress, at least in that person's eyes.  I eventually just stopped calling/telling people what was going on, and found solace in my own tantrums. 

I know I sound like a whiny two-year-old, and I'm okay with that. 

So what is it that has been so awful, well, I'm so glad you asked (please remember ALL of these things were within the span of less than 9 days):
  1. We said good-bye to some dear friends.  It was heartbreaking.
  2. Brandon's separation orders and other things that were supposed to start in a couple of weeks, have started and continue to snowball.  It is not part of my proposed schedule and has provided me with lists that I was not prepared for at this time.
  3. On Friday we woke up to a completely soaked downstairs.  The hot water heater had leaked ALL night on Thursday and thus our laundry room, downstairs closet, kitchen, dining room, and half of our living room were water logged.  
  4. I am currently living with the dinner table on the back porch, the carpets in the dining room and half the living room pulled up with HUGE fans blowing underneath the carpet, our couches pushed almost to the front door, and Jared's toys on the stairs.
  5. Canceling Bible study because our house STILL isn't put back together again.
  6. Hardly sleeping at night because my mind will not allow for me to stop worrying about what is next.
  7. Everyday things that happen anyway, whether all the other stuff has happened or not.
So, now here is my attempt at finding the humor in all of this:
  1. The carpets are all ballooned up and Jared likes to jump on them, which is funny because he often falls shortly after he starts.
  2. Eating dinner on the patio, even if it is raining.  Jared refuses to eat anywhere else.
  3. Seeing the looks on people's faces when they walk in the front door and see what our house currently looks like.
There.  That's my attempt at finding the humor in my stressful and anxiety filled last 9 days.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry! We had a flood in our house about 10 yrs back and I remember how hard it was to get everything cleaned up and put back together. And I'm so not above tantrums myself (they totally make me feel better) :) Hoping things calm down for you soon!

    ReplyDelete