There is nothing in this world that I see my son take as much joy in as trash cans. I know that it is gross. Totally and completely icky. I get that people throw dirty diapers, rotted food, and other unmentionable things into these large green trash receptacles. However, for some reason, it is Jared's favorite thing to see, touch, and roll around. Every Friday (our weekly trash pick-up) Jared and I scour the neighborhood for people's trash can lids that got left open after being thrown into the air and pounded on the side of the truck. It is his civic duty and my job as a mother, to help these people and put their lid back on their trash can the right way. We come home and I make sure we wash our hands several times hoping to get all the nasties off of our hands. Recently, like around Christmas time, our housing company decided to also add recycling cans to our outside junkyard. Jared loves these blue cans just a little bit more because they are more his size. He is actually tall enough to reach up and grab the handles of the bin to then take it for a spin down the street. I never know where he intends to take it, but it always ends up back at our house. Maybe it just needed a little walk.
A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine told me that her mom works for the company out here in Hawaii that does the recycling pick up for our neighborhood (they also do trash pick up around the island). She said that we could bring Jared down there to see and climb in the trash trucks. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!?! I knew that Jared would love every single minute of it.
Yesterday we actually took him down there. His eyes were the size of saucers as he took in all trash cans, recycle cans, and the HUGE orange trash trucks. I was definitely afraid that we might not be able to take him home with us. He loved sitting inside the truck and being able to pretend to drive it. He loved looking inside the trash cans (yuck!), and he loved just getting to be around some of the things that make him the happiest. I can say that I definitely washed his hand before it was time for him to eat lunch. But he had a wonderful day.
Will my son be a future trash man? Or, as the my friend's mom suggested, can I convince to run the trash company instead??
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment