Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A yearly reflection

As the year comes to its annual close, it is time for me to once again look back and reflect on what I have learned, what I wish I had learned, and what I hope to learn next year.

What I have learned:
  •  Some people come, some people go.
  • What takes years to create, can take minutes to break
  • Nothing, I repeat, nothing is sacred in a house with a 2 year old
  • Crayon does come off of walls with the Magic Eraser
  • It is all right to demand time off, even from being a mom
  • Sleeping until 6 am, IS sleeping in, who knew?!
  • Going to sleep by 8 pm isn't just for old people anymore (unless I am getting old!?!)
  • Mistakes can, and do come back to haunt you
  • Worrying about it, isn't going to make it go away
  • Budgeting really DOES work!
  • You cannot make a 2 year old eat something, sometimes you have to let them go hungry for a couple of days
  • Tantrums, teething, pooping, headaches, scrapes, bruises, they all come with having a toddler
  • Discipline HAS to be consistent.  Give in one time, and you are doomed!
  • Once you find a pediatrician who loves your 2 year old monster child, as much as you do, you will travel 20 minutes longer than you had to before to follow them.
  • It is better to listen than to talk sometimes often 
  • Taking pictures can be cathartic
What I wish I had learned:
  • How to not worry SO much 
  • How to use Photoshop Elements with a little more precision
  • How to make my 2 year old obey every time the first time
  • How to make millions of dollars while being a stay at home mom
  • How to let go of things before they become more than they need to be
  • How to travel faster, like maybe through a secret door way or something
What I hope to learn next year:
  • How to say good-bye to a "family" that has seen us through so many good times and so many bad times without completely losing it
  • How to explain to my 3 year old that we are moving away from the life that he knows and loves
  • How to trust HIM completely, no matter what, that He has the best plan for our lives, and NO, I am not allowed to help Him!
  • How to be a civilian wife, instead of a military wife
  • How to take better pictures than I am taking now, and maybe even make a little money doing it
Whew!  What a year!  Some good, some bad, some in between.  2010 promises to be filled with new adventures, new learning experiences, new loves.  I can't wait, but at the same time, I can.  I hope that 2009 was a wonderful for you as it was for me, and that 2010 holds the promise of good things for you and yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment