Everyone has had one of those conversations where there is a long lull, neither party is talking, and it gets uncomfortable. Whether it is a sign of boredom, lack of interest on either side, or just plain lack of communication skills, it doesn't matter, it is never fun to be stuck in the middle of the silent chasm. Topics start to come up, like weather, living location, or jobs, because no one wants to be the one to admit that there is truly nothing left to say. One or both people will try desperately to perform CPR on the flailing conversation, but let's face it, it never works. Finally someone takes the bullet and ends the exchange with a bad excuse like a child, a spouse, or some other interruption that has to be more important the drivel that is being lobbed back and forth.
I hate these conversations. I will often end them at the first sign of silence. I can't stand to be caught muttering "Um..." or "Sooo...." over and over. I have far better things to waste my time on then useless communication.
All right, I get it, I sound like a callous person. But, I guess I just feel like I have better things to spend my time on. I have an amazing 2 year old who grows up every time I look away for even a second.
However, sometimes there are the conversations that have to be had, and at the end, there truly is nothing left to say. You have both expelled every thought you can think of, there may have been a conclusion, but maybe not, and in the end, you both know neither of you could have said another word that would have made a difference. These conversations hurt, or sometimes they don't. At the end of this kind of conversation, you can't go back without a lot of work.
I tried today. I failed, and I am okay with that.
There are plenty more conversations for me to have with him:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment