Thursday, April 15, 2010

Parental phases

Anyone who has ever had children know that kids seem to go through phases of which parent is their favorite.  It usually starts as the mother.  The Mom can get the screaming infant to quiet down, the crabby baby to settle down and smile again.  The child doesn't want to be without Mom, even for a second.

For us, this was definitely true.  Jared went through the Mom phase for about the first 6 months or so of his life.  It was always me.  Brandon was rarely the one who could quiet him down or who Jared would want to cuddle with.  However, after about 6 months, it was ALL about Brandon.  When Dad was home, I was pretty much non-existent.  It has been this way for over 2 years now.  Jared would still come to me for some things, but when it came right down to it, Brandon won, every time. 

I understand, really.  Jared is a little boy, he wants to be around his Daddy.  I throw like a girl, and what little boy wants to learn to throw like that??  I don't quite have the knack for finding the right rock or other small object that will have the trajectory that Jared is looking for.  He almost looks disappointed when I take him outside.  He just knows that I won't be as good.  The sticks I find, or the way I push him on the swing just doesn't make him smile like he does for his Daddy.

Recently, I would say just in the last couple of weeks, Jared has started to become a Mama's boy again.  It's odd.  He always wants to be in my lap, sitting on me, playing with me.  He wants me to go outside, give him a bath, and sometimes even throw the ball with him.  All these activities used to be a strictly Daddy job. 

I am not sure how long this phase will last, but I am enjoying being in the spotlight for just a little while.  Because, rest assured, it will only be for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment